Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chocolate explosion

What an adventure the past few days have been. We got loaded Friday without any problems and didn't even have any trouble tarping. The crates were square with no humps or curves which made it really nice. That thing was tarped in no time flat! The weather was beautiful and the wind held off until after we were on the road. We...well..Carl had to battle 30-40mph winds with wind gusts up to 70mph all day Friday and Saturday. We were doing some kind of rocking and a swaying. He was worn out when we stopped Friday night about 10:30.

I am always saying or doing something crazy and  Carl just smiles and shakes his head. Bless his heart...the older I get the worse I get! He has a looonngg road ahead of him!! On my first trip through the Rocky Mountains, after riding with him full time, he told me to make sure I didn't turn the ketchup or mayonnaise bottles upside down in the fridge because the pressure from the high elevations would make them explode. Yep, guess what I did...I forgot and turned them upside down and when I went to get the mayonnaise out for a sandwich...well, you get the picture. I had ketchup and mayonnaise everywhere.

Well, Friday afternoon was one of those smile and shake his head kinda days. I love Hershey bars and I love to take pictures while traveling; but eating a candy bar and taking pictures at the same time do not mix. I would get so excited about taking a picture that I would just throw my candy bar down....big mistake!!! When we stopped at one of the view points so I could take pictures of the mountains and a coal mine, I jumped up to get my sweater and was like..."Carl, what is this all in my seat!"  "Well, I don't know. What have you been doing?" Then it hit me...chocolate!!!  I turned around and you guessed it...chocolate was all over the back of my pants. Carl said,"I sure am glad you went to get a sweater before you got out because I would have walked away and pretended that I didn't know you." It took us forever to get that mess cleaned up. Carl was like..."NO more chocolate for you!" I kept thinking that I had eaten that thing mighty fast....well...it doesn't take long to eat half a candy bar! Yes, I did get my pictures...finally, but you will not believe what I found when I got back in the truck...more chocolate. It was all over my camera lens cap and a little bit was even on my camera. What a mess!!!! And no, I have not had a Hershey bar since.

We decided go through the woods instead of the interstate so we could miss all the Memorial Day traffic. One of the little towns we went through was Moab, UT. We really wanted to stop and spend the night so we could tour the Arches National Park and the Canyonlands National Park but a holiday weekend with no reservations is not the time to do that. We could not find anywhere to park or stay; every motel was completely booked. Moab was a happenin' little town. There were people everywhere. If there had been some sand and water it would have been the perfect beach scene. Some people even had their lawn chairs set up in the parking lots watching the people and cars go by....it was crazy! We have definitely added this little town to our list of places to visit.

About 20 miles outside Moab is Wilson Arch, which is absolutely beautiful. Just as I was standing up to take a picture Carl saw a place to pull over. He asked if there was anyone behind us but before I could answer he was saying, "Hold on I'm bringing ya in!" Thank goodness for good brakes. I have wheeled into places on 2 wheels before but never on 9.  As soon as we got stopped I put in to hike up the mountain to the arch. I got one of those looks that says "Are you serious!"  Well, yes I am serious or I would not have suggested it! So he just smiled and shook his head and up the mountain we went. It was not as easy as I thought. Crazy me thought there would be a nice little path for us to walk up...NOT! After several breaks, we finally made it to the top. It was BEAUTIFUL and very scary... to me. We thought the wind was strong at the bottom...Oh My Goodness....I felt like it was blowing 100mph up there. I thought it was going to blow me off. My heart was beating so fast but the thought of going down made it beat faster. I did the little "duck" walk part of the way down. I really wanted to sit on my bottom and  scoot down. You know like a child scoots down a flight of stairs. Carl said, "Here let me get in front of you so if you start falling I can block your fall."  "Great, then we will both go rolling down the mountain!" It took awhile but we finally made it down...don't think I will suggest that again!

Saturday we rode and rode and rode. We did stop at DQ  (another one of my favorite things) for some ice cream which I had to eat in the store sitting down in a booth. No messes for me! Amarillo, TX was our home for the night and for Sunday. Our wireless card quit working Friday morning and Carl's cell phone has been messing up so Sunday we went and found a Verizon store. Carl is so excited...he got his very first smart phone. He  played on that thing most of the afternoon and figured it out rather quickly. He's MOVIN' ON UP!! We will finish our trip to Fort Worth, TX Monday morning and then unload Tuesday morning. Hopefully we will then be on our way home for a much needed vacation with family.....YEAH!!!

I hope you have enjoyed your holiday weekend...I also hope you have taken time to say thank you to all our Servicemen and women. Please remember those who gave and those who gave IT ALL!!!
Thank you Daddy for your service! I love you!!!

'Till we meet again!

Only by Grace,
Lynne


I think I can...I think I can!!

Coal Mine...Coalville, UT
Cost $26 million to build in 1953

Mountains at the Coal Mine

View at Coal Mine




Mountains at the Coal Mine
Canyonlands at Moab, UT

Wilson Arch...named after Joe Wilson who had
a cabin nearby in Dry Valley.
Carl is thinking "Do I seriously have to climb
up there!"
At the top...rest time!

At the top...Oh and did I mention that it also
got dark on us!

New Mexico...Navajo Nation


New Mexico


San Ysidro, New Mexico
Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. Ephesians 5:2

2 comments: