Sunday, August 12, 2012

Surrounded by God's Beauty

And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." and it was so. God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:9-10



Working our way from Mississippi to Washington...one beautiful state after another. No matter how many times I ride through the Western states I am always amazed at the beauty of each one. The last time we were out that way everything was covered with snow. This time it was all green with bursts of yellows, purples and oranges from all the wild flowers. The streams, rivers and lakes were crystal clear....like looking through a piece of glass. I loved looking out my window watching the rushing streams as we were riding down the highway. It was like riding through a painting. We even got to travel in the light of a full moon and didn't have to try to peek through towering trees to see it.


Full moon peeking through clouds in Wyoming



Northern Idaho


Northern Idaho is a lot different from southern Idaho



Northern Idaho full of mountains. Southern Idaho is  a lot
flatter with farm land..potato country

 I am always hoping to see wild horses and cowboys. No wild horses this trip but I did get to see me some Montana cowboys. They probably thought I was crazy because I was hanging all out the window with my camera taking pictures. They just waved and smiled with a smile that said "You've never seen a man on a horse!" Why, yes I have but not one in a cowboy hat and tight jeans riding across the hills of Montana.


Montana Cowboys



Montana


Montana


Montana


Montana
The weather was perfect. Cool nights and mornings but as soon as the sun starting peeking through, the temperatures started rising. We got so tickled because Washington had weather advisories a few days before we got there. The temperatures would be soaring into the 80's....what?? We are used to temperatures soaring into the high 90's low 100's....now that calls for a weather alert. Even though the afternoons were warm, the water was still very cold..just think about it a few months ago there was snow and ice everywhere. But that didn't bother those people, they are some water loving folks. Every creek, stream, river and lake had people in it. We saw more people enjoying the water than we do when we go to Florida. Boats, jet skis, canoes, rafts, kayaks...if it went in the water they had it. I can't image swimming in freezing cold water but if you live up here and you love the water...you do what you have to do. I do love the water but swimming and skiing in freezing temperatures just isn't on my bucket list of things to do. We also saw a lot of bike riders....not motorcycle bikers....bicycle bikers...in the mountains.....up and down, up and up and up the mountains. I am sorry but riding a bike in the mountains is also NOT on my bucket list. Every campground was packed with campers, motor homes and tents. Oh my goodness, and if the campground was near water you can bet it was packed. Some of them looked like little towns with tents stacked on top of one another...it was crazy. I wouldn't mind camping in a camper with a toilet and running water but getting up in the middle of the night traipsing through the woods to a bathroom is not my idea of fun. So, I guess you know what else is not on my bucket list. By now you're probably wondering what is?


Couer d' Alene lake...Idaho


Rimrock lake, Washington


Wanetchee National Forest, Washington


Another lake in the Wanetchee National Forest

One of the things that amazes me the most is how the landscaping changes within each state. We saw more changes in Washington than any other state on this trip. The northeastern part was farm land nothing but fields as far as the eye could see. The northern middle part of the state was mountains then over to the northwest...the coast. Our final stop was the very top...coast and mountains....absolutely beautiful. As the landscaping changed, so did the temperatures. We went from hot to warm to chilly and from sunny to overcast to rainy. The one thing that never changed was the beauty of it all.

Washington farm land- outside Spokane, Washington


As far as the eye could see


Rolling hills and farm land..beautiful


LC is not a fan of the mountains


White Pass, Washington
Washington coast


Cathlamett, WA...riding the coast


It is always nice when we can find view points to pull into so we can take in all the magnificent wonders of God's work. Of course, those view points usually lead to some hiking. Carl quickly told me on one occasion before I had time to say a word "Now we are not hiking on this stop." Right...only because it was a steep cliff and there was no hiking trail...other wise you know what we would have been doing!

Columbia River, Washington
No hiking here...only because of the steep steep cliff


Carl is learning a little history



A river in Wanetchee National Forest, Washington that ran along side
of the road. Another beautiful stopping/viewing point.

Carl would not put his feet in


Just had to put my feet in and yes it was very cold!


Sometimes our loads can get us in a pickle and this was one of those loads. We had to travel some narrow winding roads along the coast to get to our destination. It was beautiful but I am afraid I am the only one that really got to enjoy it. Carl was having to focus on all his surroundings.. me on the other hand...I was hopping from one side of the truck to the other trying to take pictures. Carl tried to imitate me at one point and was like "Which way do I go...which way do I go?" There were views on both sides and I could not decide which side was prettier.


On our way to Cathlamett, WA to make our 2nd drop
Helena, MT was our 1st drop


Road to Sequim, WA for our final drop


Where we made our 2nd drop..Cathlamett, WA


Carl contemplating the game plan


God's amazing beauty is everywhere and in everything. We just happened to be in enjoying the beauty of the west. I hope no matter where you are that you can enjoy the beauty around you. The beauty of the stars shining bright at night or the sounds of the owls as they hoot in the dark. Sit outside and watch the sky change colors as the sun is setting. Watch and listen to the birds as they call one another during the day. Listen to the rain as it is falling on the roof. Just sit and take in all the beauty around you. Listen for the still small voice of Jesus speaking to you.
 "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10a

Til we meet again!

Only by Grace!

       Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment