Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Honoring our Veterans

I am always giving the east coast a hard time but I must admit that I really enjoyed traveling up to Connecticut. The mountains were full of trees bursting with vibrant reds, yellows, and oranges. The rolling hills were filled with green pastures and fields of corn waiting to be harvested.  Houses sitting on tops of hills surrounded by all the colors of fall while overlooking a valley full of beautiful horses and cattle grazing in the cool air. It was absolutely beautiful. I don't think we really get to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of fall in south Georgia.  We have a few trees with bright reds and yellows but for the most part we go from green to brown. Although, we do get to enjoy the milder temperatures...which I love!




We left Connecticut, went to Pennsylvania and loaded some Hummers going to Texas. This was a simple load with not as much adventure as the last couple of loads but it was one that got me thinking about all the things I am thankful for. I am so thankful to have a living, loving, caring and forgiving God. I am also thankful for the loving, patient husband that God has blessed me with and for the young man that he blessed me with 24 years ago that I am honored to call my son. My whole extended family...parents, sisters, brother-in-laws, in-laws, nieces and nephews...the whole crazy bunch that I love to the moon and back. I'm  thankful for my friends and for my church family. Then there are the little things...my son's laughter...my husbands little winks...the hugs from my little munchkins and not so little munchkins anymore...the 24/7 job that I get to share with Carlos (yes, I am very thankful for that)...camera phones...oh yes, how I am thankful for camera phones. You see those camera phones provide me with long and short conversations with my Toot Toot and with the rest of my family. They also provide me with crazy silly photos of the munchkins and sisters, while I'm on the road. It's not the phone but what the phone gives me...time, comfort, peace and happiness and a lot of laughs...it keeps us connected while being separated and for that...I am very thankful for camera phones. I could go on and on...thankful for my health and my family's health...our home...the sunrise and the sunset...the opportunity to see and explore God's amazing country...for LIFE and for so much more. I am also very thankful for all our men and women that have served and are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces...The  Air Force, The Navy, The Marines, The Army and
The Coast Guard.

The Hummers we picked up in Pennsylvania were by no means new. In fact, they had all the signs of being in combat. I usually take pictures of our loads but I just didn't feel it was appropriate to take pictures of this one. As I looked at the hummers and all the damage, I couldn't help but think about the brave men and women that were in them and what they must have endured. I know my thoughts...and visions...and emotions are nothing compared to what was really felt.

Just a few days ago was Veteran's Day. A special day set aside to honor the men and women that have served and sacrificed so much to keep our country free. Freedom is not free...it comes with a price...a huge price! Veterans should not be honored just one day a year, they should be honored every single day.

Our Government is in such scrambled chaos right now. So much money, time and energy are being spent on programs that are useless and do not work.  One of our government's top priorities should be working to help vets get jobs, find homes or get the help and support they need when diagnosed with PSD. I know there are programs out there but when funding for those programs get cut...well, funding to help our military past and present shouldn't be on the list of budget cuts. I was watching a program on CBN this weekend on Veterans. I was left in awe when it was reported that an average of 22 suicides per day...PER DAY are being committed by our vets. One vet had been waiting for months to get the help he needed...the paperwork and approval came in the mail the day after he committed suicide. 

As Carl and I are traveling, we see so many people that are homeless and probably half if not more are vets. We usually try to give food or money when we can but they need so much more. I read a report that said there are about 50,000 homeless vets. The VA is committed to ending homelessness in Veterans by the end of 2015. The one person who should not be homeless is the person who fought to keep us safe and free.  To find out how you can help visit this website http://www.va.gov/homeless/

To all the Veterans I say "Thank you and to you Daddy for your service during the Vietnam War. I know you didn't get the Welcome Home that you deserved so here's a great big THANK YOU a thousand times over!

The next time you see a veteran or an active duty serviceman thank him/her for their service. 

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." John 15:13
 
Blessings to all!
   Lynne


No comments:

Post a Comment