Sunday, July 1, 2012

Loving Others

Give thanks to the LORD for he is good! His faithful love endures forever! Psalm 118:29

I sure hope everyone is staying cool or at least trying because it is hot, hot, hot!!! I love summertime and can't wait for it to arrive each year but I am usually spending it IN the pool. Don't get me wrong I love traveling the roads with My Love but I am really having to adjust to working outside in the heat. I might actually be looking forward to some cooler weather...now when I say cooler I mean 85-90 degrees.

We have been doing some trucking this past week. We unloaded Tuesday in Fort Polk, LA then loaded Wednesday in Beaumont, TX and went back to Fort Bliss in El Paso to unload Friday. We then had to boogie boogie boogie to Fort Huachuca, AZ to load Friday evening.  We are now on our way to Pennsylvania. WooHoo...finally getting out of Texas! Let me just say that we are one tired little couple. We are used to loading and riding for several days to a week before unloading but oh not this week. All this chaining and unchaining has helped this Chic-a-dee get her some "guns"!

This is our second week of hauling military equipment. I support our military men and women 100% and really appreciate the sacrifices they have made and continue to make everyday.  But I really thought the teacher was gonna come out of me when we loaded in Fort Bliss last Friday. I  think that was the first time those fellas had ever loaded trucks. They were sooo lost and confused. I wanted to just say, "OK, guys listen up this is what we are going to do. You go get this truck and generator and BACK it on this trailer...and you sir...go get this piece of equipment and load it on that trailer!" I am very good at directing and giving orders...just ask Carl. There were about 27 trucks trying to get loaded and it was an ALLLL day process. Our load appointment was 11:00 and we finally got loaded at 5:30. Carl would get so irritated but then one of the guys would come up to him and apologize and thank him for being so patient...it was hard to stay mad.

Even as busy as we have been, we are very thankful for the work. Saturday when we stopped at the rest area this older man was sitting there holding a sign that said "please help". We see people all the time begging for money and we do try to help with food but we hardly ever give just money. But there was something about this man...Carl started up a conversation with him and the man never said anything about needing money or about his problems (not until Carl asked what kind of help he needed)...usually that is the first thing they say. He was from California and was on his way to Houston, TX to visit his brother. He drove a nice little red sports car and needed  money for gas. He told Carl it was costing a lot more than what he thought. So yes, my loving husband gave him a little bit of money for gas. But...once we got in the truck something hit me...I just felt like we needed to do more. Carl and I talked about it and decided to offer to fill up his car. He was so happy and appreciative when Carl told him....no we didn't give him money..he followed us to the station and we actually pumped the gas for him. I know...you are probably thinking it was just a scam or his way of living but believe me everything you are thinking I thought and questioned. We get so frustrated with all the people that just swarm our truck asking for hand-outs but then there are those that truly need help and we believe he was one of those people. Please don't think I am writing this as a pat-on-the-back because that is certainly not it at all. My devotion the other day was about having genuine, pure, fervent love for others and let me tell you... that is one thing that I  struggle with when it comes to people standing on the corner and holding up signs. The "something" that hit me in the truck was the LORD saying "Lynne, do you remember the devotion on love....well...show some love girl!"

The LORD gave His one and only son Jesus Christ for us..now that is love like no other. None of us deserve God's love. His love for us is genuine, pure and unconditional and no matter what we do or don't do He will continue to love us just the same. To have a heart like Jesus I must learn to love unconditionally. Joyce Meyer says she believes walking in love is the true test of spiritual maturity not great faith. Galations 5:6 says the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. This really got to me...I must have a life of pure, genuine love in order for my faith to grow and strengthen. I have always thought my faith was strong but when it is put like this...Let's just say that unconditional love is something I need to work on.....what about you?

'Til we meet again!

Only by Grace,
Lynne



"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
1 John 4:7-8


No comments:

Post a Comment