Monday, August 25, 2014

Pete and Repeat

 Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

This would make a pretty good theme song, don't ya think! I have no idea why but this verse just popped in my head and I haven't been able to get it out. Not the whole song, just this verse. Drives me crazy, and then I start making up my own words to finish out the song. Timothy told me that I take five or six songs and put them together to make one. He never knows what song I'm trying to sing.

Anywho..I was recently informed by my sweet and candid son that my blog posts are always about the challenges we encounter with our job. "You are always writing about the problems, troubles and frustrations. You never write about the good things. People are probably wondering why in the world you and Daddy are still in the trucking business. And, you never include me in any of the blogs. Wait a minute, I have to catch my breath. Wow! He actually reads my blogs. "I know but the crazy things we deal with are what makes it interesting and yes, I have included you in some. I can't help it if you're not always with us."

So, to make Timothy happy let me just say that not every load causes us to grit our teeth, roll our eyes, sigh in disbelief, clinch our hands or stomp our feet. Usually we are just doing the eye rolling thing and sighing. Carlos always just looks at me and says, "They don't want much do they!" "You can handle it! You are a professional!"

Thank goodness, for the past several weeks we haven't had any fist clinching or teeth gritting loads. Since returning to work after vacation, Timothy has been with us pretty much the whole time. I think we've only been apart for 2 weeks. I love how the Lord works it out for us to travel and do trips together. Los and I have been one happy mama and daddy. We just have one little problem when we are all together. Toot likes to get up early...ride, ride, ride and get a good nights sleep...at least 8 hours. If he says he's leaving at 7:30 a.m. then by golly he's leaving at 7:30...not 7:35...7:30! Then there's Carl and me...complete opposite! We say 7:30 but it could be 7:45 or 8:00 before we actually pull out. Then, we like to ride for a couple of hours, stop and stretch our legs, ride some more, stop for an ice cream, ride some more, stop and stretch. It's a constant ride, stop, ride, stop...THIS DRIVES TIMOTHY INSANE! We may not have had any teeth clinching loads but there sure has been some breath holding. I am so glad we are in separate trucks and have CB's for communicating because every time Carlos grabs that CB mic and says, "Toot, we need to hit the rest area!" I  just hold my breath and wait for it, "Really, again!" I have absolutely noooo idea where he gets his promptness and drive to go, go, go...certainly not from his mother or father. Carlos' philosophy is slow and steady...gets the job done! Yes, it does! I'm not sure how but we are never late for an appointment. We may be a day early or two days early or it might just be 15-20 minutes early, but one thing is for sure...we are never late! My man may be slow but he gets the job done and that's all that counts!

I asked Timothy one night if he was tired of us and ready to be on his own again. His answer was music to my ears, "NO!" I guess the grilling at night, the cinnamon rolls for breakfast, the home/truck cooked meals, the freshly baked brownies and the evenly toasted on both sides ham sandwiches, make up for our tortoiselike speed.

He won't admit it but he enjoys his mama and daddy time just as much as we enjoy our Toot time!

Instead of a building, this time we took a power skid to a new solar farm in California, which to us, is known as the snake farm. Yep, the snake farm! We had already heard horror stories about this place and were not looking forward to going at all. First of all, we were told that it was a nightmare to get in and out of...second, you have to wear snake leggings...third, there are snake handlers on sight and fourth, you have to stay within a certain perimeter of your truck. One driver told us that one of the workers drew a line in the sand and told him, "Do not go past this line!" Well, okie dokie then! "Carlos, it looks like you and Toot are going to be on your own. I'll just sit in the truck and watch for snakes and if I see one I'll yell snake. I mean really, how many snake handlers are on sight? If there is only one per truck then how can he watch for snakes for me and for you if we are on different sides of the trailer. I really think it's best if I just stay in the truck!" "Why don't I stay in the truck and you do all the work this time?" "Nope, I don't think so!" Can I just say that we were not the least bit excited about this load. We hadn't even got the thing loaded yet and there was already some eye rolling and A LOT of sighing going on...from all three of us! EVEN TIMOTHY! We were getting ourselves worked up in a tizzy. Finally I was like, "Maybe it's not as bad as everyone says. Let's just wait and see for ourselves."

After a week of wonder, we made it to the snake/solar farm. What a relief...easy peasy in and easy peasy out. The workers saw what a difficult time the drivers were having getting in and out of the farm so they made some changes a few day before we got there. Isn't God good! Carl and Toot did have to wear the snake leggings, although, one worker acted like it was totally ridiculous. He just kept telling Los, "Man can you just please put these on before you get out of the truck? I've already been chewed out once about these things and I don't want to get chewed out again. It's crazy! Just please put them on before you get out."
Now that was a hoot watching Carlos put those things on. He couldn't figure out which was the top, which was the bottom, which one was the right, which one was left, and then, it took him forever to get the things fastened. Toot had both of his on, was out of the truck and had walked up to our truck before Los ever got his on...and Toot got his AFTER Los.

 Wouldn't they make great models for snake leggings in an outdoor magazine?
When Timothy was little we would get so tickled because everything about him was just like his daddy. The way he looked...the way he walked...the way he talked...the way he stood...everything. Some things never change! Twenty-five years later and he is still the spitting image of his daddy. When I saw the two of them standing there like this, I couldn't help but smile! Love my boys!
Usually when we are traveling to California, I am fascinated and in awe of the beauty of the mountains. I told Carl that even though we have seen them hundreds of times every time seems like the first time. But for the past several weeks I have been admiring the beauty of the clouds. As I was watching the storms brew in the skies above me, it reminded me of the storms that brew up in our everyday lives. One minute we are enjoying a beautiful sunshiny day and the next we are running for cover from the lightning and rain. Our lives are much the same. One minute we are happy and healthy and the next we get a heart stopping report from our doctor. One minute we are enjoying our family and the next we are unexpectedly having to say goodbye. One minute we are off to work and the next we are looking for work. In an instance life as we know can change.

Just as I saw the beauty and grace of God's work in the clouds, we are to find beauty in our life storms. We do that through keeping our focus on Christ and knowing that He is walking through the storm with us. We are not alone. There are so many verses in the Bible where Christ is reassuring us that we are not alone. Joshua 1:9 says "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." In Psalms 46:1 it says, God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. Isaiah 41:13 says, For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Matthew 14:27 says, But Jesus spoke to them at once. "Don't be afraid," he said. "Take courage. I am here!!" These are just a few. I hope you find comfort in knowing that even though it may seem like you're all alone...YOU ARE NOT! Christ Jesus is right there with you!
I have been following a sweet, young, newly wed couple on facebook who are currently going through a horrific storm. It's more like a hurricane. The husband is battling brain cancer for the second time and the faith and assurance they have that everything is going to be alright is remarkably strong. They are turning their storm into a true testimony of faith and love for Christ and for one another. Christ tells us to find joy in our troubles, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

Sometimes I wonder, "Lord, how in the world can we find joy in our troubles...especially when our troubles are the size of hurricanes, like the one this young couple is in the midst of?" When he tells us to find joy, he's not talking about being all happy go lucky. He is telling us to have a positive outlook...keep our focus on him...remember the blessings in our life and to hold on to our faith in Him!
Some storms are short...some last forever...some are strong...some are light...some come with a vengeance...some come with a warning...some appear in the blink of an eye but one thing is for sure...they will come...and, they will go! When that storm comes, whether it is a wind storm, thunderstorm, tornado or a hurricane and everything around you starts turning dark, look up and there you will find that ray of sun, shining down on you, letting you know that you are not alone.

When life's storms come, I may look into the dark sky and say "God a little light please!" Then I remember - Jesus light of the world.  Max Lucado
Please remember to keep the young couple I mentioned earlier in your prayers!

Oh, I almost forgot, the rest of the snake/solar farm story. We did not see the first snake or the first snake handler. I was really kind of disappointed. I was looking forward to being on snake watch! Oh well, we have enough excitement without having to add snakes to the mixture.


Til we meet again!
Only by His Grace!
   Lynne

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13005725/?claim=cqr74xuf9vt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment